December is such a great time of year to take some time to reflect, to retreat and to dream about what you want to create next. Step one to creating your best life ever is to visualize your success.
Sometimes it can be difficult to visualize what your future has accomplished, especially when it feels like there is a gap between where you are and where you want to be in a few years.
You cannot set clear goals or know what steps to take if you cannot visualize the outcome or know what you are working towards. Below is a simple “Future You” questionnaire to help you visualize your success. Do this first and then look at what your first steps would be to get you there!
I recently did this with my clients in a live workshop and was amazed at the experience, the clarity and the beautiful dreams coming true that each woman shared from helping veterans heal from PTSD through art to writing books and creating online communities.
Here’s some of the advice shared by their future selves:
“Don’t pressure yourself to figure it all out now. Be patient, be open. Your timing is important for your journey, don’t pressure yourself to move faster.”
“Get better at doing your work, continue to learn, avoid distractions.”
“Set specific goals so you know what you are working towards.”
“Pay attention to what comes easy to you and other people notice.”
“Let the negative comments roll off your back like a duck. But whenever possible, consider how they could help you improve your business.”
“Make sure your vision is aligned with your values.”
“Just keep going.”
“Get support, you don’t have to do this alone.”
There were many more brilliant insights and advice to themselves but I think the biggest ahas came from them realizing that anything is possible and that they are already on the path to realizing their dreams. Once they could clearly visualize what success would look like, it was suddenly easy to create their 2018 game plan for their business.
We did this in partnerships where one person interviewed the other person and took notes. I encourage you to grab a friend or your spouse and invite them to play with you. Interview each other as if you are on television sharing your wildest successes, two years from now.
Then come back and share in the comments how it went.
Alternatively, grab a journal and a pen or open a blank page on your computer and answer the questions below.
What is our best advice from your future self to you?
Imagine that it is December of 2020…
1. You have had some really impressive accomplishments over the past couple of years! What are you most proud of?
2. What do you love most about your life right now?
3. What do you find most rewarding about your work?
4. Describe your passion for your work. How has your passion changed over the past two years?
5. What is the BEST feedback you’ve ever gotten from a client or student?
6. What is most FUN about your work?
7. 3 years ago, I know you set an income goal for yourself and you ended up exceeding that quite a bit. What was your original income goal, and what is your income now?
8. What advice might you give for people who want to achieve what you have achieved?
9. What has been the real secret of your success?
10. What made THIS venture different? What “clicked” for you this time, to pave the way for your enormous success?
11. What advice might you give for people wanting to have more fun and enjoyment in their work?
12. How would you best describe your contributions to the world?
13. Over the past two years, what was your biggest personal challenge, and how did you get through it?
14. What advice would you give to someone who wants to combine different interests and passions in the same way that you have done?
15. You have become quite a pioneer in your work. What is the most important step that you took to get where you are today?
16. What is next for you? What about your future is most exciting, in both your work and your life?