Do you get frustrated with your marketing? Do you feel like you are investing time and money and not seeing a return on your investment with new clients? I have been teaching marketing to coaches and small business owners for 10 years and I have been an entrepreneur for 15, I get it. For many new business owners, marketing can be intimidating and overwhelming.
I often hear comments from clients like:
- I don’t know where to start
- Nothing is working
- I don’t have any money to invest in marketing
- Advertising is a waste of money
- I don’t know what else to try…
I sold advertising for a living for a decade and I heard all of these complaints from prospective clients. If you are frustrated and disillusioned with the results you are seeing from your marketing, it could be because your perspective on creating marketing content is skewed.
The biggest mistake business owners make is creating marketing content, which includes everything from your website, business card and 30-second commercial to any brochures or other marketing collateral, that is what I call “me-focused” marketing instead of “you-focused” marketing.
How to tell if your marketing is “Me-focused”
Here are a few ways you can recognize if your marketing is “me-focused”:
- Your business card has a laundry list of all the services that you provide: for example a printer might list all of the different types of printing they can do for you
- You don’t focus on building relationships or educating clients about how to work with you.
- Your brochure is full of all the features of your business but doesn’t mention any benefits: for example a coach lists all the different types of training they have received and the processes they use but not how these can help their client
- You aren’t actively engaging in conversation with your clients through social media, networking or blogging
- Your website doesn’t say anything about who you serve or the problems you solve: it just repeats the laundry list of services, features and tools
- Your home page is all about you and doesn’t mention who you are supporting or welcome people in
To create a successful marketing campaign requires a major shift in your mindset. Most of us go into business because we have a valuable skill or tool that we want to share with the world – we see ourselves as experts at helping people and we are passionate about helping as many people as we can. So our marketing tends to focus on “ME” – what I as the business owner do best and how I do it using all the different tools, tactics, and skills I have learned along the way.
The truth most business owners don’t understand or value is that people don’t buy your certifications or the tools you use. What your prospects are looking for are solutions to their problems.
How to switch from “Me-Focused” marketing to “You-Focused” Marketing
The mistake most business owners make is focusing their marketing on themselves, their tools and their processes. People don’t care about you. They only care about themselves and the three Ps.
My favorite three Ps in marketing are Pains, Problems and Predicaments. Understanding the problems your clients most want to have solved is the secret to marketing success. This is why you have to shift your marketing mindset from “me-focused” to “you-focused.”
How do you accomplish this? Here are a couple of ways to create client-focused marketing content:
- Make sure you are clear about your niche and have a written profile of who your ideal client is.
- Think about your current clients – what do they say about you and the problems you are solving?
- What are the most common Three Ps running through your client’s head?
- What pain, problems or predicaments are you best at solving for others?
All of your marketing content should be written in a way that showcases the solutions you offer for your ideal client.
If you need help shifting your marketing mindset, I can help you clarify your niche and create a clear identify for your ideal client so that your marketing content will call out to him/her. When you achieve this, it makes it so much easier for your prospects to select you – meaning more clients for you with less effort!
Apply now for one of my Free 30-Minute “Client Attraction Magic” strategy sessions. I only offer a few of these sessions each month. I guarantee that at the end of our conversation you will have more clarity and at least one action step that you can take to instantly start attracting the right clients. Click here to apply: https://drminette.wufoo.com/forms/my-perfect-plan-breakthrough-session/