The Fastest Path to Cash and Clients for (almost) any Business
The fastest path to cash and clients for (almost) any business is public speaking. Public speaking should be a mandatory part of any great marketing strategy, especially for solopreneurs and small business owners. I say this over and over to my clients and I see so much resistance to getting started.
Why is public speaking so scary to people?
Jerry Seinfeld famously shared in one of his comedy routines, “According to most studies, people’s number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you’re better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.”
And while this might be an exaggeration and makes for great humor, it may resonate with you. Or you may already be speaking but not attracting clients or using speaking as a strategic marketing tactic. In this post I will share a few insights into how to use speaking to connect with and attract more of your ideal clients. But first, why is public speaking so scary?
There are a few reasons people are afraid of speaking in public:
- They haven’t done it before and “think” it will be scary
- They don’t know what to say so they don’t get started
- They don’t like how they look or how they sound
- They don’t want to be embarrassed or make a mistake in front of an audience
While these are not unreasonable fears or concerns, they are ones that you can easily overcome with a few strategies and mindset shifts in place.
I know for certain that speaking is one of best and fastest ways to grow just about any business.
I have grown two successful businesses using speaking as a marketing strategy. And when I first started speaking, it wasn’t pretty. My face would turn red, I would feel nauseous and my knees would shake. At one memorable event, I was so nervous I gave a 20 minute presentation in 10 minutes, even though I had written slow down at the top of each of my pages of notes. Yikes! Not a stellar moment but I kept going, growing and getting better.
Today I speak across the country at a variety of national conferences and events. For example in January I spoke at Creativation which is the national conference for the Craft and Hobby association. I love speaking and I always get clients when I speak. But I remember when speaking wasn’t so easy or so fun and I dreaded taking the stage. I also host my own live events where I am in the front of the room for 3 full days and make tens of thousands of dollars. And I get to teach my clients how do this in their businesses, too. I even have my shy, introverted husband speaking at our events.
Why is speaking such a powerful marketing tactic?
There are many reasons but today I will share three.
- Speaking positions you as the expert and boosts your credibility – you are instantly seen as an authority when you are at the front of the room.
- It creates the opportunity to reach a much wider audience – and it’s much faster to sell to a room of 10, 50 or 100 people or more than it is to have 10, 50 or 100 one-one conversations.
- Speaking is great for list building and lead generation – two of the most important parts of any great marketing plan.
Even knowing how great speaking can be for their business, I still hear my clients asking questions like this one.
How do you create a talk that doesn’t feel salesy but still attracts the right clients?
First, figure out exactly who you are trying to attract and what problems you are great at solving for them. Create a talk that solves their problems and the audience will walk away knowing you are the expert they need.
Second, don’t expect everyone in the room to like you or want to take the next step towards hiring you. In fact, if done well, your talk should attract your ideal clients only. You are still delivering great value to the room, but trusting that the right people will take the next steps.
Finally when it comes to structuring your talk, here are 3 key ingredients of a client-attracting presentation:
- Share a powerful story that shows your humanity and your expertise – show how your own journey mirrors the journey that your clients are on. This shows them that it’s possible for them to get from where they are to where they want to be.
- Deliver great value and actionable tips or strategies. It’s not enough to just inspire or motivate people, you have to show them that you understand what their challenges are and that you have solutions to those challenges.
- Share client success stories showing how you solve the specific problems your ideal clients are facing. This third party validation will have the audience leaning in and believing that success is possible for them, too.
2 mistakes I see speakers make that will stop people from taking the next step with you:
- Over delivering or sharing too much “how to”. This can either overwhelm people or make them think they have everything they need to do it on their own. You notice in this blog post that I am sharing WHAT to include but I am not telling you HOW to write your talk.
- Letting your ego get in the way and going for the applause and not the impact. You want to leave people thinking and feeling, I can’t wait to talk to her, where do I sign up?! This is how you create impact and move prospective clients closer to working with you, by showing them the gap between where they are right now and where they want to be. Leaving them in a happy place is great, but doesn’t get them to say yes!
How do you get clients from speaking?
ASK! Make a clear, concise and generous offer that invites people to take the next step with you. That next step should be related to talk you gave. Here are some examples of simple offers:
- You could invite them into a conversation with you to offer 1-1 support
- You could offer a free gift/report that gets them onto your email list
- You could offer a workshop (low cost or free)
After reading this, you might be curious how speaking fits into your personal marketing plan and how to create a client-attracting talk. If you would like a bit more help I would love to offer you the chance to speak with me personally. So as a thank you for stopping by to read this post today, I want to offer you a “Fastest Path to Cash” Breakthrough Session. This is my gift to you – during our conversation we will talk about where you are now, what you are struggling with and what you can start doing to move you forward.
If you are ready to get on the fast path to cash and clients, I’d love to support you! You can go here now to schedule your complimentary session.