If I had a dollar for every lead we missed last year when Minette was speaking because we didn’t have systems in place …
Here’s the litany of mistakes and weaknesses in our strategy for collecting and engaging new speaking leads.
- Failed to immediately get speaking event contact forms uploaded into CRM
- Failed to have a consistent autoresponder sequence for new contacts
- Failed to stick to a well-practiced script and offer when speaking
- Failed to have a free gift at speaking events for people that gave business cards
- Failed to market products we sell to new leads
- Failed to have an effective “excite” sequence for new leads
- Failed to have human followup with many new leads
We are adding systems to improve how we engage our new leads when they are first introduced to Minette and the Path to Profit Academy.
I can hear you now …
But Brad I’m a coach, what does this have to do with me?
But Brad I just want to make art and sell it why are you asking me to add this icky structure?
The answer is that the faster you can grow your tribe … your engaged community … by speaking at networking events, workshops, or even from the stage the faster you can grow your big vision of helping people with your skillset.
Let’s talk about some simple ways you can improve how you collect and engage new leads that have heard you speak.
Offer a free gift in exchange for their business cards
We got some great advice on this from our friend Mary Cravets and it really helped. You can let people know about the gift at the beginning of your talk and just have them pass their business cards to the front. Here are some ideas:
- Offer to email them a prerecorded version of your talk. Note that it helps to not change your talk every time you speak!
- Offer them a strategy session. Pass out a sign-up sheet with available times already filled in or tell them the link to your online scheduler (e.g. calendly, scheduleonce, or acuity).
Get their contact information into your email manager/CRM system
- Collect and scan their business cards (there are various hardware scanners and smartphone apps, e.g. Camcard). Generally these systems will allow you to import multiple contacts and then export a CSV spreadsheet.
- Import the resulting contact information into your email manager or even your personal list of contacts
- Make sure that you tag/segment them with something unique that tells you
- the event they saw you speak at
- That they are a new speaking lead (as opposed to someone that found you online)
Subscribe them to your “new speaking lead” autoresponder sequence
If you don’t have an email management system like MailChimp, getResponse or Ontraport you’ll want to get one. At a minimum you could have a VA manually send followup emails. You should have a very specific set of 3 or more emails that every new speaking lead receives. Think about adding things like these to your emails
- Welcoming them to your tribe
- The download link to their free gift
- Your online calendar link if you are giving away a strategy session
- How to connect with you online with social media, other web addresses
- What to expect from you in terms of ongoing communications
- Your story, who you are and how you got here. Be specific: your ideal clients will lean in!
I invite you to look at how you could work some or all of these things into your next speaking engagement, networking lunch, workshop, or presentation. Having systems like these in place will help you collect more contacts, faster, and increase their engagement with you. Let us know in the comments what’s working for you!